Dolphin Fun

Dolphin Fun
2014 Cruise

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

FDR/Washington DC

Life has been a whirlwind since I got home from DC.  I wanted to post while there, but with meetings all day and then meeting at night, wasn't much time -- plus didn't have access to all my pictures.

I really enjoyed it there. I'm not much of a history buff I would say --- but having a fantastic tour guide that takes you back to the day and gives you the information, and you see the places and hear the stories -- how can you not like history?

Besides my conference (which I'll write about at a later date), we spent the rest of the hours soaking in as much as we could possibly soak in.  Plus -- everywhere you go is like going through an airport security.  And when you wore layers of clothes, it was a bit time "sensitive" to sight see.

If I had to pick a favorite, my favorite would be the FDR monument.  For several reasons:

  • He faced physical adversities
  • His wife was extremely talented and involved
  • The monument was very discreet, because he didn't want a monument larger than his casket.  Very humble.  So the monument is not visible from the street nor the road, very private. 
  • The monument was made in time with his terms, each walk through section aligned with things that were said/occurred during that time period.
  • He led through a horrible depression.

This reminded me of the movie Kitt Kittredge, lined up at soup kitchen



This was a section, with the inscription I hate war on all kinds of rocks. 
What a great saying for our kids today!!

She was the 1st United States Delegate to the United Nations.  Go girl power!




The Martin Luther King Memorial I enjoyed as well.  I liked how all the imagery matched and correlated to history, earlier leaders.  Every little detail was thought of and designed.

This monument is missing something. Can you see it?
It is not "plated" with metal.  The idea that his work here is
still continuing on!  It's not done.

This monument had a LOT of sayings -- from his speeches that he gave. 

This would have been right where he stood to give the I Have a Dream speech.  It was overwhelming to think 
of all the thousands and thousands of people that stood here.... #Amazinginspiring



Just a glimpse into the history and our trip to the conference.

The BEST find of the trip.... all national monuments, including white house and capital have been designed in the shape of a "t".  What does the "t" stand for?  A cross!  One nation, Under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment