Dolphin Fun

Dolphin Fun
2014 Cruise

Friday, March 9, 2012

Community

I'm loving where we are at in our life.  We are "settled" (well as settled as I will ever be) in our neighborhood, home, schools, etc... we have "roots".

I love that you go for a walk and see people you know, you show up to the kids events and make new friends who become true, good friends.

Community is important.  Making friends even more important, making a difference in someone's life who may in turn make a difference in yours.

Community provides safe havens for kids, kids who are hurting, have difficult lives.  Community can be there to give a kid a chance.  A chance to be accepted, excel and be loved.  I think of this as Hunter has a very difficult boy on his swim team  -- that the coaches are willing to provide this boy something positive in his life as his parents are in prison and has gone through hell.  What if this team turns things around in his life?  Or he looks back and realizes it was a safe place, a turning moment?

When Jesus talks about investing in others it's like the man who spread seeds --- some took and grew, some needed more fertilizer, some didn't take at all.  But some may take a long time to grow.  (my own paraphrase, please excuse).  We don't know what seeds will take and what won't -- but none go wasted.

I'm proud to say we live in Aloha --- a community that really does invest in our youth.  INVESTING is a word that I've been thinking of lately (as we keep passing out cash for things), that we truly are making an investment in our kids for their future and someday they invest into their community.  It's a long term investment with immediate dividends.

I'm sad this is our last youth cheer event for the year -- I've come to love my cheer peeps (from coaches & mentors, to all the girls and of course my bestest mom peeps). And it's been such a great positive experience for Lindsay.

How can you invest in your community?  Be a seed planter!

2 comments:

  1. Alright, I am planting a seed, right next to your wonderful tree (blog) - you know how much I love your blog, so much that I am nominating it for a Liebster Award.

    http://www.literaryrebound.blogspot.com/2012/03/liebster-nomination

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, friend! I really appreciate that. I'm working on trying to make it prettier (not my gift :))

    ReplyDelete