Dolphin Fun

Dolphin Fun
2014 Cruise

Thursday, September 17, 2015

20 Years of Marriage

20 years? I think I got married when I was 10....no really, to say we have been married that long made me feel old.  18, 19 were okay, but 20 was like, no way?!?

20 years ago I thought I knew it all,
     Today I realize I don't know much

20 years ago I had it all planned out,
     That was a huge waste of time

20 years ago life was happily ever after
     That didn't last long after the honeymoon

20 years ago, we said to have and hold,
     We have spent a lot of time having to hold to each other in storms of life

20 years ago, we said richer or poorer,
     Garth lost his job less than 6 months after we married, and proceeded to go back to school. We
     faced the poorer right away.

20 years ago, we said in sickness and in health,
     If you know us at all, health has been a roller coaster our whole marriage

20 years ago, we said to love and cherish,
     This is a choice and one we work on every day. This does not always come naturally

20 years ago, we said til death do us part,
     And when the going gets tough, remember these words. We committed until death, there is no
     talk of divorce EVER in our home

20 years ago, according to God's holy ordinance
     Studying God's word together, and praying for each other, gets you through any storm

20 years ago, pledge myself to you
     This means my life is no longer my own, my decisions and plans now consider someone else
     and there is no room for selfishness

20 years ago, these were easy words to say,
     20 years later, I 'm thankful we have made the effort to uphold these vows


If you would have told me then, the things I would face, I'm not sure I could have committed.

But now, looking back at all the things we have gone through, I would say yes all over again. Life is better together.

No comments:

Post a Comment